Sunday 4 May 2014

Texty Text


We think. We speak.
We wish to talk. We say.
We call. We chat.
Seldom do we think about writing.
Writing our thoughts to the person whom we want to speak with.

But ever since these ‘text messages’ came into being our world of talking turned itself upside down. A text message with its chutzpah brought a new culture into the lives of us humans. With it came a very endearing version of English (read: highly abbreviated and loved by people because we are always running short of time). So, ‘okay’ became ‘k, ‘just like that’ became ‘JLT’ and our exclamatory ‘Oh My God’ became a very exclamatory OMG! Grammar lost its way and spellings went on a holiday with punctuations. And eventually the troll; R.I.P English was born.

Nevertheless, people didn’t stop talking. I at least never did. Just like the conversations, text messages are long and never ending so much so that my thumb and fingers start hurting at times. Just because the other person can’t hear my voice and guess my feelings it gives me a condescending adrenalin rush to write as much as I can to explain how I am saying what I am saying.

Those who know me know that I love to talk all day, all night without sparing a moment. So automatically my text messages go way beyond the limit. I see no harm in writing long messages or even longer messages. And as much I as I love expressing myself, I also love you guys (the ones who are reading my blog). So to spare you the horror of listening to me; rather reading me say all of it in a much longer detail; let me show you an instance. In the message below, I was sad and that was what I wanted to say. Instead, I wrote my friend some 193 words! Happy reading!


“I want to indulge in APODYOPSIS! Don't go looking for the shit, it means mentally undressing someone! No reason. 

I have clearly gone mental at 3 in the night! Actually, I feel the devil has won over me and I want to fight a few people, take them out so to speak! It's the feeling that you get when you are not able to have an orgasm!
Life is a race, like a broken anda! Was this the dialogue?

Change your DP! Every time I see it I feel like punching your face so that the nimbu paani will come out! You should never mess with a girl high on hormonal medication.

I don't know what I am saying. I haven’t even read it after writing. This is one of my usual random things. Let's go shopping the week. I have nothing to wear.

And I want to have a dog!
I want to go live in Goa, or maybe Kerala, or maybe a house of my own. I'm tired of explaining things. Don't kill me haan tomorrow. Let’s go out and have gol gappas. I really want to. I just feel sad.”


P.S No judging.

19 comments:

  1. Amazing. And yet again, I come to that question again. Why don't you blog more often. Do you derive some unknown pleasure from concealing posts from us ? :P
    On a separate note, I agree. Grammar and Spelling have definitely gone for a holiday. As for your 193 words, I learnt an amazing new word : APODYOPSIS, which I am quite keen to use in a post. Not quite sure my wife would agree, but hey, what use is vocabulary if it can't be used. Hope you're feeling happy now

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh did I add this? I loved your "from the heart" take on the prompt. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I don't know about the unknown pleasure thing but I surely should blog often, now that you have said it too.
    Surely, getting into a job was a bad decision for my blogging.
    It great though, to know that you like what I write, like this one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. "Grammar lost its way and spellings went on a holiday with punctuations" - You got me nodding right here. Yes yes yes! :D And by the end I'm roaring with laughter. No no, I know you were sad and sadness makes us say things makes us mad but ... I do thank my stars it's not me you call when you have a long face. :D
    That was great reading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I think I'll trouble you next! It'll be a good idea..I'll be saying things like this and maybe later we can make a lot of blog posts out of them. :D

      Delete
  5. You're absolutely right about the death of grammar. I somehow have still managed to keep the little grammar intact but that results in longer texts just like you. My texts can be judged by this dialogue from my boss: "She sends sn email over an SMS.". :-D And Shivangi as Sid mentioned do write more often because I see you too write 'Direct Dil Se'. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahha..I do get that comment too. I guess we are sailing in the same ship. I won't call it a boat considering there are many of us!
      I know, I do feel I should write more often.
      Nevertheless, thank you for reading what I write. :)

      Delete
  6. Njoyed readin d post!
    Gosh! I can't write with so many short cuts! But yes, this was indeed a great post! Keep writing without cutting corners :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow.. Lovely post.. Had me in splits.Random and from the heart.. Thumbs up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Salesh. I'm glad you liked reading it.

      Delete
  8. I am ROFLing reading your 193 words text.. Whoaa. woman.. You are something.. !! Amazing read :D :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I am 'Something'! :P
      Thanks a lot.

      Delete
  9. From what I have seen people's SMSes are usually around 2% to 5% of how much they speak, and if that 193 word classic that you have reproduced is anything to go by, you sure can make a living by becoming a 'professional speaker' :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, I think I should start considering new career options than just being a writer.

      Delete
  10. Texting has completely ruined the English language ! And frankly I prefer to talk face to face rather than text or chat. A lot gets lost in writing I feel ! Lovely post and so glad I discovered your blog !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are absolutely right, Ruch. Texting does not have the fun that face to face talking has. Everyone say written words are better than spoken but I feel that spoken words have an extra sense of emotions involved in them.

      Delete
  11. Well....I agree with you, sometimes our mood and our words don't help us in making the other person understand what we really mean or are going through.... I really love the way you blogggggg........keep on .....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ravinder! :D
      Read my new post! :D

      Delete